FIRST PRODUCT UNDER THE BANNER OF ‘LEXUS ELECTRIFIED’ STRATEGY
- The UX 300e, first all-electric vehicle from Lexus, embodies the refined driving performance and NVH of the brand’s DNA
- Legendary Lexus reliability inherited from hybrid electrification technology heritage
- Featuring the distinctive design and high functionality of the original UX
Lexus’ first all-electric vehicle, the UX 300e, will make its European debut on March 3 at the 2020 Geneva Motor Show.
Since introducing the RX 400h in 2005, Lexus has been a pioneer in vehicle electrification technology, playing a leading role in offering products that possess both performance and environmental friendliness. At the 2019 Tokyo Motor Show, Lexus unveiled its global electrification strategy, called “Lexus Electrified”, which targets a fundamental leap in vehicle performance, handling, control and driver enjoyment.
In particular, the technology of ‘Lexus Electrified’ enables integrated control of powertrain, steering, suspension, and brakes, realizing the ultimate potential of the motor control technology cultivated in hybrid vehicles. With this technology, we can control the driving force to provide ideal vehicle posture according to each driving situation. Lexus endeavours to continue providing enjoyable and safer driving vehicles.
As the first production model under the ‘Lexus Electrified’ banner, the all-electric UX 300e was developed for excellent on-road performance. Lexus engineers kept the distinctive design and the utility characteristics of the UX crossover intact and focused on the opportunities to build on the performance advantages unique to Battery Electric Vehicles (BEVs). The UX 300e’s high-output motor provides a natural-yet-brisk acceleration character, and the high-capacity batteries, located directly underneath the floor of the cabin, deliver a low centre of gravity and optimal driving range for such urban compact vehicle (400km in the Correlated NEDC cycle, corresponding to over 300km target range in the WLTP cycle). Combined with the newest connectivity technology, the UX 300e maximizes the advantages of BEVs while realizing driving performance and convenience in a single package. (Lexus’ “YET” philosophy)
The UX 300e will be launched in selected European markets in the second half of 2020, and from 2021 in the rest of Europe.
The first all-electric vehicle from Lexus embodies the refined driving performance and NVH of the brand’s DNA
Lexus has always focused on providing a distinctive driving performance, and the case is no different with development of a BEV. Starting from the refined Lexus driving signature of the UX, Lexus engineers were able to leverage the new electric drivetrain to even further enhance the vehicle’s on-road performance. At the same time, UX 300e has one of the quietest cabins in its class, as befits the sound management heritage of the Lexus DNA.
- UX 300e’s Drive Mode Select function lets customers manage smooth acceleration and deceleration according to their situation. Drivers can feel the powerful acceleration and instant torque of the BEV powertrain as they push the pedal and use the paddle shift in a similar manner as engine braking, through four levels of deceleration regeneration – all while enjoying a natural on-road feel.
- The UX 300e provides excellent dynamic performance thanks to the low centre of gravity resulting from motor and battery placement underneath the vehicle body, combined with optimized of front/rear weight distribution and moment of inertia.
- The high-performance level of the GA-C platform is enhanced with additional braces and optimization of the shock absorbers’ damping force to match the dynamic changes of electrification.
- While BEVs are naturally quiet, UX 300e adds insulation beyond just the battery and suppresses outside noises such as wind or pebbles which would be otherwise noticeable in the absence of an engine and transmission. Lexus focus on sound management lets drivers enjoy comfortable tranquillity in the cabin.
Legendary Lexus reliability inherited from hybrid heritage
In developing the UX 300e, Lexus utilized the knowledge acquired developing the brand’s industry-leading hybrid systems and applied the same level of quality and comfortable operation to its first production BEV. Battery reliability is outstanding, and everyday usability is optimised by using the latest connectivity technology and smartphone-based remote operations.
- The efficiency of the motor, inverter, gears and high-capacity battery were all maximized, utilizing the knowledge acquired developing hybrid vehicles.
- The batteries are equipped with a temperature management system that operates at low and high ambient temperatures. Reliability is also increased with the use of multiple monitoring systems that regulate charging and prevent conditions like overcharging.
- UX 300e offers the latest in connected car technology. By linking to a smartphone using the LexusLink app, drivers can check the battery state of charge and driving range. Charging controls are also included such as a timer function to inform the owner when the vehicle will be fully charged or to schedule the charging according to when the vehicle is expected to be driven next or when energy prices are low. The app also allows the owner to remotely control the climate of the car.
【UX 300e Motor specifications】
|Placement||Model||Max output||Max torque|
【UX 300e Battery specifications】
|Standard (AC) charge||Quick (DC) charge|
|Lithium Ion||54.3kWh||Correlated NEDC cycle: 400kmWLTP cycle: over 300km (target)||Max 6.6kW||Max 50kW|
Featuring the distinctive design and high functionality of the original UX
Distinctive styling and high functionality from the Lexus UX compact crossover were passed on to the UX 300e, providing an excellent overall package.
- In addition to the bold and sophisticated exterior reminiscent of tough and agile driving, Lexus developed special aerodynamic wheels and underbody cover for the UX 300e.
- Location of the shift-by-wire system on the centre console contributes to the simplicity and functionality of the interior design.
- Lexus prioritizes the development of the most advanced safety technologies and quickly delivering them to drivers. UX 300e adopts Lexus Safety System+, as Lexus continues to pursue the prevention of accidents and fatalities, as well as decreasing driver stress and developing driver assist systems to provide a more natural and safe driving experience.
UX 300e KEY SPECIFICATIONS
|DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT||Unit||Value|
|Rear seats upright, loaded to luggage cover||litres||367|
|Rear seats upright, loaded to roof||litres||486|
|Cruising range (NEDC)||Km||400|
|Cruising range (WLTP)||Km||over 300 (target)|
|Charging speed AC||kW||6.6|
|Charging speed DC||kW||50|
|Charging time in AC||hours||7 *(200V/30A, estimated value)|
|Charging time in DC (0-80%)||minutes||50 *(MAX 125A, estimated value)|
* depending on battery temperature, usage history, charging stand (charger) and operating voltage.229